This week marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission that changed the course of humanity and space as we know it. “One small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind.” With the launch site, NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, in our backyard, it’s no wonder that our home state is poised for aerospace greatness.
The State of Florida represents the very best in space-related technology, innovation, business venture and exploration. Aerospace and aviation industry leaders continue to make Florida their launch pad for new discoveries, businesses and technologies.
Florida’s aerospace industry has diversified strengths, highlighted by:
- Rocket launching and landing at the Cape Canaveral Spaceport
- Development of navigation and guidance control systems in Orlando and Clearwater
- Manufacturing of rocket engines as well as advanced helicopter systems in West Palm Beach
- Small satellite development in Gainesville
- Significant MRO centers around the state, with particular strength in Miami, Jacksonville, Melbourne, and the Pensacola to Panama City corridor
- Business jet R&D and manufacturing in Melbourne
Additionally, Florida is a hub for the growing commercial space industry, with current and planned major operations for path-breaking companies such as SpaceX, Blue Origin and OneWeb Satellites.
Space Florida is the state’s aerospace economic development agency and has one simple mission: MAKE FLORIDA THE PLACE FOR SPACE. They are uniquely empowered by the State Florida with robust tools to aid companies in aerospace and related industries. Space Florida has conducted more than $500 million in financing transactions since 2000, allowing a number of companies to defer upfront capital costs on favorable terms as they grow their operations in Florida.
“Vision 2020” is Space Florida’s strategy to target 10 commercial markets in the coming years that will fully utilize Florida’s space launch and processing capabilities, existing skilled workforce, and infrastructure assets. These markets are expanding their use of space-based technologies every day, and Florida plans to become a critical part of the launch, processing, integration and supply chain opportunities that will result.
- Space Transportation and Technologies Support Systems
- Satellite Systems and Payloads
- Ground and Operations Support Systems
- Agriculture, Climate and Environmental Monitoring
- Civil Protection and Emergency Management
- ISS and Human Life Sciences
- Communications, Cybersecurity and Robotics
- Adventure Tourism
- Clean Energy
- Advanced Materials and New Products
In business, location is everything. Florida is the ONE commercial space hub that can meet all aerospace business needs TODAY. Here you can currently launch, land, manufacture, co-locate, collaborate and more. From move-in ready facilities, financial and infrastructure resources, a highly trained workforce, NASA and Air Force support and mission-proven launch/landing facilities, locating or expanding in Florida is one business decision made easy.
How can we help you? NAI/Merin Hunter Codman is one of South Florida’s leading commercial real estate firms and the largest in Palm Beach County. We have over three decades of experience advising clients on strategic acquisitions and dispositions and providing landlord representation, tenant representation, property management, and construction management services. The firm has expertise in all commercial property sectors including office, retail, industrial, multifamily, hotels, and land. To learn more about our services click here.